health and wellness clinic consultations
While we encourage self care for minor ailments; chronic illness is best managed while under the care of a health professional. Dis-ease in the body is the result of many complex factors. If you are seeking the information most relevant to your health picture then have an assessment and health program designed for your personal needs; if you are using prescription medicine then it is imperative that you do not self treat.
Herbs are like people, complex in nature. When deciding which herbs are the most appropriate to use, consult a practitioner familiar with the unique personalities of the plants.
Much healing can occur through simply sharing one’s story with one who may invite a new perspective and provide tools to better deal with the situation at hand.
Clinic consultations help to keep one moving forward through the cyclical nature of the healing process and to provide positive reinforcement, keeping you focused and moving in the direction required to meet your health goals.
Consultations are available in person, by appointment, with offices in Vancouver and Port Moody, BC. Phone and online consultations are offered for individuals within North America.
Payments for consultations by phone, our secure online platform and skype are made by credit card or prepaid by cheque or certified money order- and fees are due at the time of the consultation.
The initial visit is 90 minutes, prior to which, the patient completes an extensive intake form. In the consultation the intake form is reviewed and further information is elicited as necessary. We will discuss current health concerns, past medical history, family health, nutrition, exercise habits, lifestyle, how to minimize external stressors, promote emotional well-being and enhance your state of mind.
Allergy tests, heavy metal hair analysis, and saliva hormone panel testing can be ordered to obtain additional information about your unique symptom picture and both monitor and track your progress in reaching your health goals.
- Identify common lifestyle, environmental and nutritional habits which contribute to ill health.
- Acquire the skills and knowledge to improve your health profile
- While focusing primarily on your main health concern, preventative medicine can reduce the risk of future health problems and genetic conditions.
- Herbs can cleanse and detoxify, improve immune system function, enhance digestion, reduce fatigue, improve endurance and balance hormones.
- Herbal medicine can be used safely for chronic conditions and are also strong enough to address acute, immediate illness. In fact, herbs can be used to treat almost any condition you would visit a doctor for.
- Conditions that respond well to herbal remedies include:
- Stress related conditions, lack of energy, anxiety, insomnia, depression, headaches, shingles
- Respiratory problems, asthma, bronchitis, coughs, immune system dis-orders
- Skin complaints: acne, eczema, psoriasis, hives, rashes
- Digestive imbalances: ulcers, diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome
- Menstrual and hormone related issues: menopause symptoms, hot flushes, cramping, infertility, fibroids, endometriosis, PMS, irregular cycles, emotional fluctuations
- Common childhood illnesses
- Adrenal health, post traumatic stress disorder
- Urinary tract infections, water retention, gout, kidney stones
- Cleansing and detoxification, lymphatic support
- Arthritis, inflammation, pain management
- Heart problems, hypertension, circulatory issues, varicose veins
- Immune system support: allergies, sinus infection, candida, viruses and bacterial infection
- Auto immune disorders
- Chronic and acute illness
- To believe in your ability to influence the outcome of your health.
- To believe that my recommendations have your best interest at hand.
- To realize that your health is your responsibility.
- To be disciplined and consistent with making the recommended lifestyle changes.
- To have patience to achieve your goals using herbal medicine.
Possibly ~ Some reimbursement may be offered under extended health care policies and insurance policies; however each policy is different. For those with extended medical coverage, I recommend that you check with your extended medical coverage provider, as many private companies now accept complimentary health care consultations and/or services. If you own a business or have a health spending account, then look into the coverage details with your provider. Or, if you are self employed you may be able to write off the consultation and supplements –ask your accountant.
- Herbs can be used as the first choice of dis-ease treatment and herbal medicines consistently have fewer side effects than prescription medication while supporting the bodies’ capacity to heal itself.
- Herbs, when monitored, can be used in conjunction with prescription medication resulting in a lower dosage of medication needed.
- Herbs can reduce the side effects from prescription medicine.
- Herbal medicine can be used to wean the body off potentially addictive medications and can be used as an alternative to many habit-forming medications.
There are several professional governing bodies for herbal medicine although in Canada, there are no provincial laws governing herbal practitioners. Many Canadian provinces have self regulating associations ensuring a practitioners continuing education and assurance to scope of practice.
The National Institute of Medical Herbalists (UK) is one of the oldest most respected bodies of Medical Herbalists, established in 1864 and has worldwide recognition. Another governing body is the American Herbalists Guild; both organizations have high standards for professional membership and are self-governing bodies.
When looking for a herbalist remember to look for the designation of Medical Herbalist, Clinical Herbalist (ClH), Member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (MNIMH) or Registered Herbalist with the American Herbalists Guild, RH (AHG) after a clinicians name to ensure extensive training in botanicals, therapeutics and medicine.
There are now numerous Universities offering Bachelor of Science and Master of Science Degree programs in herbal medicine, further expanding the current knowledge and understanding of plant medicine.
Our holistic health care office is located in convenient Crosstown – the area between Gastown and Downtown Vancouver with easy access via Expo Blvd and Pacific Blvd just off the Cambie Street Bridge.
Our clinic is located on the 5th floor in the historic 102 year old majestic heritage commercial building known as the Duncan Building. The Duncan building is located on the north side of W. Pender Street, kitty-corner to Tinseltown Mall (between Abbott and Beauty Street). If your appointment is in the evening or on weekend, (and during times of COVID) please buzz our access code to be let in.
The office is easily accessible by public transit and within walking distance from the Stadium-Chinatown Station SkyTrain station. For customized public transportation directions to Rogers Arena, please visit TransLink. For individuals driving to our location, there is free 2 hour parking in the underground at Tinseltown Mall (entry on either Abbott or Taylor St), various meter parking and an Easy Park parkade nearby (at 150 W Pender St).